No City this week, too many international superstars jet-setting from the Bantams. As Rory McArdle and the likes danced around on benches from Finland to Denmark, the rest of the league got on with business as usual. There were plenty of goals.

Shrewsbury 4-2 Colchester

The result of the weekend arguably came from the New Meadow as Shrewsbury produced an incredible second half performance to take three points from in-form Colchester. 

The Us had started brightly and were one goal to the good after 36 minutes as Mark Ellis turned a dangerous Gavin Massey cross past his own keeper. A couple of minutes later Colchester defender Tom Eastman produced a naughty bit of skill and back-heeled a second goal. It seemed a familiar story for the travelling away fans who were watching their side well on their way to another league victory. One can only imagine boots flying, hairdryers blowing and some inspirational speaking went on inside the Shrew’s dressing room at half time. Whatever went on, the home side came out a different team in the second half. Tyrone Barnett, a half time substitute, halved the deficit a minute into the second half, he rose to head home a Larnell Cole cross. The same man levelled the scores on the hour mark when he finished an Ian Black cross. Another brace was to win the game for the Shrews, this time it was SullayKaikai’s turn. He latched onto Larnell Cole’s pass, rounded the ‘keeper and finished to give Shrewsbury the lead. His next goal was a fierce drive which rounded off an impressive comeback for Shrewsbury which secured a well needed and well-earned three points, they shoot up to 14th. 

Oldham 2-4 Scunthorpe

Prior to Saturday’s game Scunthorpe were yet to record a victory on the road. A solid attacking performance sealed their first three points away from Glanford Park at Oldham. Scunthorpe were quickest off the mark and had already hit the post before Gary McSheffrey gave the Iron the lead on the ten-minute mark. Paddy Madden played McSheffrey through and he slotted home from twelve yards. Oldham were level 15 minutes later when a shot from Danny Philliskirk deflected into Liam Kelly’s path who turned well and finished. When Dominic Poleon put the Latics in front with a close range finish Scunthorpe fans must’ve feared the worst. However, Oldham came against a resolute Scunthorpe side who were back on level terms when Tommy Rowe hit a shot which took a nasty deflection past Oldham ‘keeper David Cornell. With the score at 2-2 at the break, the game could’ve gone either way but it was Scunthorpe who took the initiative when Madden smashed home a rebound from a Tom Hooper header. David Dunn was staring at his first defeat as Oldham manager when Kevin van Veen ended things with a mazy run and chip which was fitting of winning any game. 

Sheffield United 3-2 Rochdale 

A close affair at Bramwell Lane saw a tight victory for the Blades which lifts them into the playoff places. Che Adams scored two goals either side of Peter Vincente’s penalty in the first half, Matty Done the offending defender, Vincente now has seven for the season. Lewis Allesandra levelled the scores half way through the second half when the ball dribbled over the line from his tame effort from 6 yards. United regained the initiative two minutes later from a Jose Baxter corner, Neill Collins rose above everyone to score and win the game for the Blades.

Wigan 2-2 Bury

The Shakers took the lead away at Wigan through a powerful back post header from Nathan Cameron. Their lead was doubled on the hour mark through another header, this time Tom Pope stooped to lift a header over the Wigan ‘keeper to further Bury’s lead. All seemed to be going well for the visitors but things rapidly changed when they lost Chris Hussey to a second yellow card on 78 minutes. Bury then faced twelve minutes of persistent pressure from the Latics which eventually came to a head in the 85thminute. The ten men of Bury exhausted from weathering the storm saw a crucial mistake from goalscorer Nathan Cameron, he headed into his own goal this time which halved their lead. The comeback was complete when Craig Morgan scored from distance to take a share of the points the short distance back home. Bury denied a seventh straight victory. 

Writing this match report it occurred to me that a lot of games so far this season have featured players who have scored both an own goal and a goal in the correct goal. Strange. 

Walsall 2-0 Burton

This game was billed as a heavyweight clash between the two leaders of League One. Walsall controlled things from the get-go and were rewarded on 36 minutes when Liam Kinsella scored his first goal for the club when he finished a neat pass from Romaine Sawyers. Burton came back at the Saddlers but couldn’t break down a resolute Walsall defence. Burton were pegged back further in the 90th minute when Jose Mousinho (taking a break from management) handled in the box which allowed Tom Bradshaw to score his sixth of the season from the penalty spot. Walsall now take top spot on goal difference. 

Chesterfield 1-3 Gillingham  

Chesterfield are on a bit of a difficult run of late and a home defeat to Gillingham mean they have lost 6 of 8 games. Gillingham took the lead on 26 minutes when captain John Egan scored from close range. The Spireites equalised nine minutes later when Rai Simons’ finish ensured that the teams went into the break all square. Gillingham were back in front ten minutes after the restart when Jermaine McGlashencrossed for Ryan Donnelly to score his fifth goal in three games. Harry Lennon finished the scoring for the travelling side who are now only one point from top spot. 

Swindon 1-2 Peterborough

Before Saturday’s meeting, Peterborough hadn’t won at Swindon in more than nine years. They didn’t take too long to make an impression on this fixture and nearly went in front when Jon Taylor hit a cross which beat everyone, including on-loan Robins ‘keeper Lawrence Vigouroux. The ball rebounded off the frame of the goal into safety, but Taylor didn’t have to wait long to score the game’s first goal. He smashed a Jermaine Anderson cross through Vigouroux’s legs from a tight angle to give Posh the lead on 38 minutes. Lee Angol doubled Posh’s lead after the break when a bizarre bit of indecision saw a back pass all but roll over Vigouroux’s foot leaving Angol with the easiest finish of his career. Peterborough’s Michael Bostwick gave the home side a consolation goal, heading a free-kick past his own ‘keeper, but consolation is all it proved to be as Posh saw out the rest of the game and took the points. 

Barnsley 1-2 Crewe

You’d have to go back five games for Crewe’s last victory; a 0-1 away at Shrewsbury before they took Barnsley on at Oakwell on Saturday. Barnsley had the best of the early exchanges but it was the Railwaymen who took the lead on 14 minutes Ryan Colclough powered a direct free-kick past motionless Tyke’s ‘keeper Nick Townsend. Barnsley drew level a couple of minutes later when Alfie Mawson rose to head home a Conor Hourihane corner. After the break the home side seemed the more likely to win the game, Mawson, Hourihane and Sam Winnall all had chances but it was Crewe who snatched the win through a strange goal. Adam King put in a cross to the near post which Lauri Della Vale hurled himself at, managing to get his chest on it which thumped off of Nick Townsend’s own chest and into the goal. Despite the win Crewe are still rooted to the foot of the table. 

Southend 1-0 Port Vale

The Shrimpers helped themselves to all three points as Port Vale left empty handed after visiting Roots Hall. Vale had chances in the first half to take the lead but Uche Ikpeazu and Enoch Andoh saw chances blocked by John White and ‘keeper Daniel Bentley respectively. Southend came out the stronger team in the second half and found themselves in front through Joe Pigott. He bundled Anthony Wordsworth’s cross over the line for his fifth goal in three matches. Southend hung on and the win moves them to seventh. 

Fleetwood 0-1 Coventry

With Steven Pressley being the lovely man that he is, you have to feel for him right? Hosting his old employers Coventry at home and getting beat in the ninetieth minute has got to hurt hasn’t it? And it was an own goal as well?! Oh dear. Fleetwood are having a pretty torrid time of it of late and this latest victory has got to hurt the fans. They were resolute for ninety minutes against a Sky Blues side who were getting more frustrated by the minutes. Eventually, the Fleetwood players who were dead on their feet made a costly mistake. Coventry’s George Thomas found space and shot against Chris Maxwell who could only parry the ball onto former Coventry defender Richard Wood. Football is a cruel game.