League One Round-Up Matchday 7


In football, especially in management, job security isn’t something which is afforded to everyone. That’s something former Posh boss Dave Robertson learned the hard way last week. This week saw another casualty in Oldham boss Darren Kelly. Meanwhile, as the axe was swinging elsewhere, Phil Parkinson was putting pen to paper on a contract which will see him at the helm at Valley Parade for another three years. Could City celebrate with another three points on the road?

Fleetwood 1-1 Bradford City

The answer to that question, ultimately, was no. Things looked pretty bleak when a combination of a stiff sea breeze and a Ben Williams error of judgement gifted Fleetwood an early goal. Jimmy Ryan’s free kick deceived the Bantams’ ‘keeper, causing him to carry the ball over the line. City weren’t behind for too long however, James Hanson finishing former Fleetwood loanee Josh Morris’ cross after a mistake from Northern Irish international Conor McLaughlin.

City went on to have the better of the game’s chances, two glorious opportunities falling to man of the moment Devante Cole. The first of these chances was a result of some good work from Stephen Darby; he beat his man and put a cross to the back post where Cole was all alone. It wasn’t to be 3 goals in 3 games for Cole as he put his header marginally wide of the post. Minutes later he struck the inside of the post with a powerful effort.

Both sides had chances towards the end of the game to take all three points. Jamille Matt had a shot deflected over the bar late in the game, a flash of pace from Tyler Forbes created the opportunity which was thankfully (for City fans) squandered. The final whistle was greeted with jeers from the away fans as the game finished on a controversial note. Steven Davies had the ball in the net with the last play of the game only to see the linesman’s flag scupper the celebrations. The point means it’s effectively ‘as you were’ for both sides, Fleetwood sat just above City in 13th. The Bantams are 14th with 9 points.

Oldham 1-5 Peterborough

How ironic for a side without a manager to produce a result which causes their opposition to dump theirs. This is exactly what happened at Boundary Park this weekend. Peterborough seemingly galvanised under caretaker manager Grant McCann, thrashed Oldham.
Peterborough were helped mainly by some desperate defending and the Latics’ inability to hold onto the ball. Souleymane Couibaly – the man with the most vowels in football – got into the action early on by providing the assist for Lee Angol to score his first of two. Couibaly had his own brace in the second half, killing the game and, temporarily at least, Oldham manager Darren Kelly’s career.

Barnsley 4-1 Swindon Town

If you’re going to break the habit of winning away from home, you might as well do it properly and get hammered right? Prior to travelling to Oakwell on Saturday the Robins had an unbeaten run on the road stretching back to the end of April. Barnsley saw to it that the run was ended in style. Tyke’s defender Lewin Nyatanga had actually put Swindon ahead after heading into his own net. Teammates Marley Watkins and Reece Wabara saved his blushes as they put Barnsley 2-1 up at the halfway point. Wabara scored the pick of the goals with a drive from distance. Conor Hourihane, who provided the assist for Wabara’s goal played like a man who was very aware his international credentials were being scrutinised. Roy Keane will have no doubt been impressed with Hourihane’s performance. He assisted Nyatanga in rectifying his earlier error, providing a cross for him to head home. He rounded off his performance with a tap-in which made it 4-1 to the Tykes. 

Chesterfield 3-3 Colchester

Despite the home side being reduced to ten men after 14 minutes they took the lead in the 22nd minute after a fortunate free kick from Dan Jones. If Ben Williams was watching the highlights of this game he may have felt a bit relieved to see colleague Jamie Jones make a hash out of the set piece, the ball missed everyone and left him sprawled on the floor clawing at air. Gavin Massey levelled the scores but goals from Lee Novak and Sam Morsy gave them a two goal cushion. In their last home game the Spireites threw away a two goal lead against Wigan, history somewhat repeated itself as Colchester managed a late double salvo to sneak a point away from the Proact Stadium. George Moncur replied to Chesterfield’s third with a smart finish from 15 yards to half the deficit, the points were shared after Charlie Raglan turned a cross into his own goal in stoppage time.

Walsall 2-0 Doncaster

Doncaster are another club in League One who find themselves without a manager after only 6 games. Rob Jones took temporary control as Rovers visited Walsall. Rover’s problem this season has been their lack of goals, they have only netted three times this season, the lowest number of goals in the league. Their woes continued in front of goal as they saw a couple of good chances in the first half go begging. They did however hold on for 85 minutes when a combination of some hapless Rovers’ defending and a brilliant volley from Tom Bradshaw put the home side ahead. Bradshaw wound up proceedings in stoppage time with a brilliant lob over German ‘keeper Thorsten Stuckmann.

Gillingham 2-1 Blackpool

After managing their first victory on the road in over 12 months last week, Blackpool would have gone to the league leaders with a little less trepidation than they might have done. Doug Loft put the Gills in front turning in a rebound from a Luke Norris free-kick. Gillingham bossed the first half but didn’t manage to add to their one goal lead. Blackpool started the second half much sharper and found themselves level through a Ryan Jackson own goal. The Seasiders looked as though they’d earned themselves an unlikely point but League One’s top scorer Bradley Dack made sure the Gills stayed top of the table, and that he stayed top of the goal scoring charts. He now has five for the season.

Port Vale 3-2 Wigan

Wigan seem to enjoy five-goal-thrillers, their trip to Port Vale almost a mirror image of their win at Chesterfield last week. This time it was Vale who left it late to take all three points. Anthony Grant and Lewis Dodds had put Port Vale two goals up and seemingly in control of the game. Craig Davies pulled a goal back for the visitors which set up a grandstand final ten minutes. Leon Barnett had a very busy 5 minutes; he scored Wigan’s equaliser in the 83rd minute but found himself taking an early bath after being red carded in the 88th minute. The free kick resulting from Barnett’s foul saw the Valients take all three points, Wigan failed to clear the ball effectively and Uche Ikpeazu was on hand to win the game.

Sheffield United 1-3 Bury

A good home record took on a good away record at Bramell Lane and something had to give. It was the Blade’s home recorded that suffered at the hands of the Shakers. Billy Sharp’s penalty levelled the scores on the 72nd minute after Tom Pope had put the visitors ahead. But Joe Riley and a late goal from Leon Clarke gave Bury a result which means they are now unbeaten on the road in 15 games.

Crewe 1-3 Millwall

A very impressive hat-trick from Aiden O’Brien left Crewe firmly rooted to the bottom of the table without a win so far this season. All three of O’Brien’s goals showcased his great eye for goal, his first an instinctive finish, his second a brilliant long range effort and his third a smart finish after a mazy run. Crewe did have their chances but they came up against a very stubborn ‘keeper in Jordan Archer. After unluckily conceding an equaliser via a deflection he produced an incredible double save to ensure both sides went in level at the break.  

Burton 1-0 Rochdale

Burton continued their impressive performance so far this season with a solid win against Rochdale. A Stuart Beavon goal from a Mark Duffy free-kick was enough to seal all three point for the Brewers and move them up to third in the table.

Scunthorpe 1-0 Coventry

After last week’s defeat at the hands of struggling Blackpool, Scunthorpe went into Saturday’s game with Coventry desperately wanting all three points. The game was uneventful to say the least, Coventry not really having a real chance until midway into the second half. The game looked as though it was destined for a result worthy of the action when Paddy Madden popped up in the 79th minute and scored the game’s only goal. Their second win of the season moves them into 16th.

Southend 0-1 Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury edged the battle of the promoted clubs with a very hard fought out away victory at Roots Hall. Nathaniel Knight-Percival scored the goals only game, rising well to head home eleven minutes into the first half. It was enough to see Southend slip down to 20th and move the Shrews up to 15th. 


League One Top Scorers

1 - Adam Armstrong - Coventry City - 5

1 - Bradley Dack - Gillingham - 5 

2 - Marcus Maddison - Peterborough United - 4

2 - Patrick Madden - Scunthorpe United - 4

2 - Tom Bradshaw - Walsall - 4