After City’s tragic attacking performance at Colchester on Tuesday night the order of the day was goals. City, thankfully took heed of this as, apparently did the rest of the league. Here is the action from Saturday’s games.

Peterborough 5-3 Millwall

It’s fair to say that if you score three goals in a match you’d expect to come away from the fixture with a point at the very least. Millwall, however found out the hard way that this is not always the case, they came up against a rampant Posh on Saturday. Peterborough demonstrated their devastating ability to score goals in quick succession, this very ability saw them take the game away from City last weekend. Goals from Jon Taylor and Lee Angol saw that Posh were 2-0 to the good with 19 minutes on the clock. The score-line remained the same for the rest of the first half and Posh went into the break with their two goal cushion still intact. Millwall came out of the tunnel resurgent and it wasn’t long before they had squared the scores. They levelled things with a quick fire double of their own Brian Webster and Tony Craig both scored within three minutes of each other to draw the scores back to 2-2. Peterborough’s two goal lead was soon restored though as another two minutes of madness saw Chris Forrester and Conor Washington put the scores at 4-2. Mark Beevers finished from a corner to half the deficit but Jon Taylor scored his second of the game to take the game away from the Lions and take all three points.

Coventry 3-0 Shrewsbury

Coventry’s Adam Armstrong took himself to the top of the goal scoring charts on Saturday scoring his seventh and eighth goal of the season. It’s getting to the point now that Newcastle fans (who aren’t having the greatest season ever) must be wondering when they can have him back! He got his first after good work from Marc Antione Fortune. Fortune then put away a penalty to double the Sky Blue’s lead. Armstrong finished proceedings in the second half finishing left footed to provide Coventry with a comfortable win which moves them to fifth place. Shrewsbury are just above the relegation zone on goal difference alone.

Gillingham 3-3 Oldham

Under David Dunn, Oldham have looked very different to the side that lost 5-1 to Peterborough earlier in the season. They still haven’t won since then, but they have ground out a fair few draws. Ross Donnelly opened the scoring for the home side, putting them in front after 8 minutes. Brennan Dickinson then scored in the wrong goal to level the scores, although classing this as an own goal may have been a little harsh on the player, he deflected a shot into the roof of the net. Donnelly restored the Gills lead after a bit of comedy keeping provided him with an easy finish. 3 minutes later Dominic Poleon levelled again for the Latics, finishing neatly after being played in behind. Michael Higdon then put the visitors ahead, when Oldham fans saw his volley fly in they must have thought that their run of draws may be about to come to an end. However, son of former boss Andy, Jake Hessenthaler scored a beauty to rescue a point for the hosts.

Burton 1-0 Southend

Cue clichés along the lines of ‘winning ugly’ and ‘professional performances’ – this was far from a vintage performance and a welcome three points for the league leaders. Speculation regarding boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink’s future was rife this week as apparently a Championship side came in trying to acquire his services, he has since pledged his allegiance to the Brewers and his team repaid him by (cue the cliché) grinding out a result. The only goal was a scrappy as the game was, defender Luke Prosser turned a Tom Naylor effort past his own ‘keeper. Burton are sitting pretty at the summit of League One three points clear of Walsall and Bury.

Colchester 0-1 Bury

Many billed this fixture to be an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object, predictably it never quite lived up to those expectations and was a much nervier affair. Both teams had enjoyed impressive form in the build up to this game, City, the latest team to be on the receiving end of Colchester’s winning streak. The first half was cagey and Bury had the best chance when Chris Hussey’s effort struck the bar, George Moncur went close for the hosts. The game was won halfway through the second half when Leon Clarke, second only to Adam Armstrong in the goal scoring charts, popped up with a header to extend Bury’s run of form and take them third.

Blackpool 1-0 Swindon

Mark Cullen’s goal provided Seasider’s fans with a feeling not felt for over two years – back to back wins. Swindon are on a bit of a downward progression; they now haven’t won for five games. The game hinged on the Cullen goal which happened just before half time, he scored from a Henry Cameron corner. It proved to be enough for all three points. Blackpool are up to 22nd on 11 points with five other clubs, goal difference keeps them in the relegation zone.

Crewe Alexandra 1-2 Chesterfield

Before Saturday’s game Chesterfield had lost three in a row, a trip to the bottom of the league went some way to overturning their run of poor form. Dan Gardner came up against his old club and opened the scoring for the visitors on 8 minutes when his deflected shot found the net. The Railwaymen’s captain David Fox levelled the scores with an accomplished finish from 20 yards which meant the two sides went into the break all square. Gardner volleyed his side to victory in the second half, lifting the Spireites from their recent poor form and keeping Crewe rooted to the foot of the table.

Doncaster 2-1 Barnsley

League One is a predominantly Northern league, which means lots of derbies. Doncaster hosted Barnsley in one of twenty-four Yorkshire derbies that will take part this season. Keshi Anderson turned in a shot from Richard Chaplow to give the hosts the lead midway through the first half. Two of Barnsley’s stand out players Conor Hourihane and Sam Winnall combined to pull a goal back for the Tykes, the latter finishing the former’s cross with a powerful header. Donny left it late to claim their first win since August, Richard Chaplow smashed in on the 90th minute to give interim boss Rob Jones his first win with the club.

Port Vale 2-1 Sheffield United

Two goals in a strong first half for the Valients did for Nigel Adkins Blades. Byron Moore scored for the hosts after seventeen minutes. Uche Ikpeazu, full name; Karl Anthony Uchechuckwu Mubiru "Uche" Ikpeazu, scored on the stroke of half time doubling Vale’s lead. Matty Done scored a consolation goal with essentially the last kick of the game. The Blades have now only won once in six games.

Scunthorpe 1-0 Fleetwood

Two of League One’s strugglers came together at Glanford Park to play out a game which, even at this early stage of the season, could prove pivotal come the end of May. Despite Scunthorpe’s difficult start to the season they have a goal scoring in Paddy Madden who, after his goal in the 68th minute moves onto six for the season. Fleetwood, who are still without a manager slip down to 23rd and have now not won in 8 games. Scunthorpe move up to 20th but are still only out of the relegation zone on goal difference.

Wigan Athletic 0-0 Walsall

If Wigan captain Craig Morgan had not been sent off for a professional foul in the 68th minute, it is safe to say that there would be pretty much nothing to write about. Walsall maintain their unbeaten run and stay 2nd, next week they host Burton at the Bescot for a 1st vs 2nd showdown.