A couple of managerial changes dominated the headlines in West and South Yorkshire this weekend. City’s hosts on Saturday had Darren Ferguson at the helm in time for the Bantam’s arrival, meanwhile, on the crazy side of West Yorkshire, another defeat for Leeds United meant that Cellino had his next victim of his ever-wielding axe in Uwe Rosler. It’s always great to see Leeds get beaten, and it’s brilliant to watch the turmoil unfold at Elland Road. But nothing tops the fact that Steve Evans, the man who looks like a lanced boil on legs, has taken over at the old enemy. Anyway, enough about that, let’s get into the League One round-up.

Fleetwood 4-0 Burton

This weekend went some way to proving just how changeable and ephemeral success in this league actually is. Fleetwood had lost their previous five games before the visit of early pace setters Burton. Although Burton lost their last match at the hands of then-leaders Walsall, you’d have been laughed out of the bookies to put Fleetwood anywhere near your accumulator on Saturday. Jamie Procter got the scoring underway when he put man of the match Bobby Grant’s cross past Jon McLaughlin in the Burton goal. The two linked up again as Proctor cut back for Grant who arrived in the box to finish low for Fleetwood’s second. The two of them hadn’t finished yet and it wasn’t long before they combined again to extend the lead further. Burton were staring down the barrel of only their second league defeat of the season and Fleetwood put the final nail in the Brewer’s coffin in the 80th minute when Ash Hunter finished at the second attempt. It’s new manager Steven Pressley’s first win as Fleetwood manager and the three points lifts them up to 19th.

Wigan 5-0 Colchester

A fortnight ago Colchester were the team to beat in the league, however, this latest capitulation at the hands of a rampant Wigan team is their third defeat on the bounce. The Us got off to a pretty bad start and found themselves down in the fifth minute, Donervon Daniels scored his first of two and Wigan’s first of five when he finished from close range. He had his second nine minutes later but before he had the chance to score his second, Max Power hit a shot from distance which deflected over Jamie Jones in the Colchester goal. Daniels had his second three minutes later when Jones had another moment to forget, Daniels’ shot slipped under Jones’ body. Will Grigg, fresh from Northern Ireland’s exploits at the weekend put Wigan 4-0 up with only half an hour played, he powered a finish past Jones who probably wished he was anywhere else. The second half wasn’t much of a spectacle, Wigan knowing the points were wrapped up, Colchester knowing that they were already well beaten. Jussi Jaaskelainen in the Wigan goal didn’t really have anything to do, he saved Marvin Sordell’s shot, in mainly an effort to keep warm. Will Grigg finished the proceedings three minutes from time when he lifted the ball into the roof of the net.


Walsall 1-2 Chesterfield

Last week’s victory against Burton saw Walsall sitting pretty on the summit of the League One table, Chesterfield were the visitors this Saturday and many expected them to be a much less difficult prospect than last week’s opponents. This however, was not the case, Chesterfield had shown that within five minutes when Sylvan Ebanks-Blake opened the scoring with a powerful header. Chesterfield had to weather the storm at times in the first half when a period of concerted pressure from the hosts saw Tom Bradshaw and Sam Mantom go close. It was the Spireites however who took the initiative in the second half when they doubled their lead through defender Ian Evatt ten minutes after the restart, he nodded in a Dan Gardner corner. The Saddler’s scored a consolation goal deep into injury time but it wasn’t enough to see them knocked off the top of League One.

Southend 2-1 Barnsley

The Shrimpers came behind at home to Barnsley after a controversial penalty had seen them fall behind in the 24th minute. The Southend ‘keeper Daniel Bentley clattered into Marley Watkins seemingly outside of the area. Referee Charles Breakspear saw differently and pointed to the spot. Josh Scowen asked no questions and made no mistakes from the resulting penalty kick. Southend went about seeking their own retribution 12 minutes later and levelled the scores through Anthony Wordsworth. Justice had been completely restored to the match when Luke Prosser scored his first goal for nearly two years to give Southend the lead, and ultimately the three points.

Crewe 0-1 Gillingham

At the start of the weekend you’d have got pretty short odds for the top three winning their games. Walsall, Burton, and Gillingham played 16th, 23rd, and 24th respectively. However, Gillingham were the only side out of the three to register even a point on Saturday, and even that wasn’t as easy as it could have been. The Railwaymen had the best of the first half and even had a goal disallowed when Brad Inman handled the ball. He had another chance before the break but Stuart Nelson saved, the rebound fell to Adam King who blazed over the gaping goal. The next half was very much about the visitors and they found their reward in the third minute of injury time. Ryan Donnelly who is in blistering form stole the three points away from the Alexandra Stadium and robbed Crewe of what would have been a very well earned point. The win moves the Gills to the top of the table.

Millwall 2-0 Swindon

Millwall have seemingly got themselves out of a bit of a rut when it comes to their home form. They beat a Swindon side who are bang out of form to give them their second home win of the season. Lee Gregory got the home side of the mark in the 19th minute finishing an Aiden O’Brien cross past Lawrence Vigouroux. O’Brien himself scored the second goal 7 minutes later when he powered a loose ball into the Robins’ net. Swindon now haven’t won in seven games and it was one defeat too many for Mark Cooper who parted with the club on Saturday evening.

Bury 0-0 Rochdale

These two sides met in a Greater Manchester derby on Saturday and it was expected that there would be goals. Peter Vincente and Leon Clarke are two of the league’s top goal scorers and both had chances in the first half to take the lead. Clarke and Tom Soares combined but couldn’t squeeze the ball over the line. Bury nearly stole it at the end but a header from the back post from Clarke was brilliantly saved by ‘keeper Josh Lillis. Bury, City’s opponents on Tuesday night now haven’t lost a league game in ten outings. Gulp.

Oldham 1-1 Sheffield United

David Dunn’s tenure as Oldham boss hasn’t really got off the ground yet, his side are still without a win under him and failed to gain all three points again this weekend. The hosts did find themselves in front after ten minutes through a Danny Philliskirk header after the Blades failed to clear a corner. The scores were level twenty minutes later when Matty Done scored the goal of the day when a hit a lovely left footed strike into the stop corner of the Latics goal. The second half consisted of both sides cancelling each other out, Oldham going into defensive mode after they lost Jonathan Burn to a second yellow card after 62 minutes. Oldham managed to hold on for a share of the points, Nigel Adkins will be disappointed his side didn’t manage a win to keep a firm grasp on their playoff place.

Coventry 0-0 Blackpool

Coventry are unbeaten at home and welcomed a struggling Blackpool side to the Ricoh hoping to make it three league wins on the bounce. Blackpool themselves visited Coventry on the back of two league wins of their own, despite their perilous position in the table. Marc Antoine-Fortune had the hosts best chance of the first half but dragged his shot narrowly wide of the goal. Blackpool had a great chance to take the lead in the second half when a long ball from the back played in Mark Cullen but he squandered the opportunity and couldn’t finish. A point for both sides a fair result in the end, they keep their places in the table, 5th and 22nd respectively.

Port Vale 1-1 Peterborough

It was a tale of three penalties at Vale Park on Saturday, Vale themselves missed two penalties in the second half to miss the chance to take all three points. Peterborough however, took their chance from twelve yards which meant they took a share of the points. Vale took the lead in the 40th minute when Enoch Andoh scored his first goal for the club. Vale had a golden chance to go two up after the break when Posh ‘keeper Ben Alnwick, whose brother Jak was in the opposite goal, brought down Andoh in the box to concede the first of three penalties. Michael O’Connor took the resulting spot kick but Alnwick made a brilliant one-handed save to thwart him. 8 minutes later Peterborough had their own penalty and Michael Bostwick did a far more competent job, blasting the ball past Jak Alnwick to draw the sides level. Both sides had chances to win the game but Vale had the best opportunity through yet another penalty. Uche Ikpeazu was felled in the box and penalty duty was handed over to Sam Foley. Foley fired against the underside of the bar, the ball bounced down onto Ben Alnwick’s head and out for the corner. The ‘keeper celebrated as though he was claiming a save. A point a piece.

Scunthorpe 2-1 Shrewsbury

Paddy Madden had already scored seven goals prior to the visit of Shrewsbury to Glanford Park, and it was the Madden show once more as Scunthorpe recorded their third straight win against a struggling Shrews side. The visitors did have the best of the first half and found themselves in front through in-form loanee Sullay Kaikai who fired a neat finish from the edge of the box at the end of a skilful run. Madden took over in the second half, first assisting Scott Laird with a pinpoint cross to find him at the back post. Secondly scoring from the penalty spot when Neil Bishop was hacked down in the box. He now has eight for the season and the Iron move up to twelfth.